What is App Control?
Carbon Black App Control combines application control, file integrity monitoring, full-featured device control, and memory/tamper protection into a single agent. App Control is used to lock down critical systems and servers, prevent unwanted changes, and ensure continuous compliance.
App Control is a positive security solution allowing for a "default deny" approach to reduce the attack surface. App Control gives administrators the operational confidence to automatically approve legitimate change and eliminate the burden traditionally seen in allowlist management
2. Horizon Login
Use the Testdrive Credentials provided in the Login Credentials menu on the top right corner to sign-in to VMware Horizon.
- Click the copy icon next to the username to copy
- Paste it on the Horizon username field by clicking on it, followed by pressing CTRL+v (Windows) or Command (⌘) + v (macOS) on your keyboard
- Next, click the copy icon next to the password to copy
- Paste it on the Horizon password field by clicking on it, followed by pressing CTRL+v (Windows) or Command (⌘) + v (macOS) on your keyboard
- Click Login to access
Other pasting options:
- Windows: use right-click on your mouse/ trackpad and select Paste
- macOS: press and hold the control key while you click the Horizon username/password field and select Paste
3. Launch Desktop
Once logged in, search for 'Carbon Black App Control' on the Apps Tab and click on the Horizon Desktop to launch it on your Browser.
4. Carbon Black App Control Desktop
Now you'll be on the Carbon Black App Control desktop. At this point you can begin the walkthrough steps listed below.
5. App Control Console Login
The App Control console can be accessed via browser on an endpoint that has access to the App Control Server.
- Launch the Chrome Shortcut Carbon Black App Control from the Desktop
- [Alternate method] Open the Chrome browser. In the navigation bar, type in https://192.168.33.225
- Note - you must include https
- Login with credentials provided in
App Control Credentials.txtfile on device desktop
On login you will view the home page. This TestDrive experience gives you view permissions on the App Control Server.
You may use the App Control server while reading background information or proceed directly to the lab activities depending on level of comfort. If you are new to App Control it is recommended to read the background sections prior to lab activities.