In this quick walkthrough we're going to demo USB Redirection in a Horizon VDI Desktop.
- Launch a virtual desktop with Horizon Client
- Open USB redirected drive
- Copy the Local USB file from the local drive to the desktop in the session
- Open and show the file text
- In VMware Horizon Client select "Connection" from the toolbar, then select USB and click on your USB storage device to disconnect local usb device to session
- Close the text file
Before You Begin
In order to perform the full end-to-end demo make sure you have the following:
- A valid account in the VMware TestDrive environment, sign up here if you don't
- Network access from your device and TCP ports 80, 443 and 4172 & UDP 4172 enabled
- The latest Horizon client installed on your device
- A USB drive connected to your local machine.
- A small text file called "Local_USB_File.txt with text "This is a file that is saved to my local USB drive"
From the TestDrive Portal, under Horizon, hit LAUNCH and click the America Region under the Native Client header.
If you have the Horizon Client installed, clicking this link will automatically populate your Horizon Client with the URL to the America Region.
When prompted by Horizon Client, enter your TestDrive credentials and ensure that the domain is correctly selected as VMWTD. Once you have entered your username and password, click Login.
Double click the Windows 10 desktop to launch it.
In VMware Horizon Client select "Connection" from the toolbar, then select USB and click on your USB storage device to connect local usb device to session
Click Continue to confirm connecting usb storage device
Device drivers install automatically
Device drivers are completed and device is ready
Drive is connected and showing in the VDI desktop session.
Open USB Drive to view contents.
Copy Local_USB_File.txt to VDI Desktop
In VMware Horizon Client select "Connection" from the toolbar, then select USB and click on your USB storage device to disconnect local usb device from session
Click the Continue button to confirm disconnecting USB device
USB drive disappears from File explorer.
End of Demo