In this quick walkthrough we're going to demo how to run Microsoft Excel 2016 as a published remote application from within a Horizon Linux Desktop by completing the following steps:
- Log in to a Horizon Linux Virtual Desktop.
- Launch the Horizon Client.
- Launch the Microsoft Excel 2016 Published App.
- Close the Microsoft Excel 2016 Published App.
In order to perform the full end-to-end demo make sure you have the following:
- A valid account in the VMware TestDrive environment, sign up here if you don't
- Network access from your device and TCP ports 80, 443 and 4172 & UDP 4172 enabled
- An appropriate Horizon client installed on your device
- An appropriate web browser (such as Google Chrome) installed on your device
Let's get started, open up your favorite web browser and get sign into the Horizon Workspace Portal
From the TestDrive Portal, under Horizon, hit LAUNCH and click the America Region under the Native Client or the Web Access header.
Clicking either link will automatically populate your Horizon Client or web browser login window with the URL to the America Region.
When prompted by Horizon Client, enter your TestDrive credentials and ensure that the domain is correctly selected as VMWTD. Once you have entered your username and password, click Login.
A list of Horizon desktops and applications entitled to you will be displayed.
If using Horizon Client, double click TD-UBUNTU. If using web browser, single click TD-UBUNTU to launch the desktop.
Click Firefox web browser icon in the top left of the desktop.
Then in the address bar type "https://horizon.vmwtd.com" to get connected to AMER region through HTML browser. Then click Advanced.
Click on Accept the Risk and Continue button.
If prompted by Firefox with "More secure, encrypted DNS lookups", hit the Disable button.
Then hit VMware Horizon HTML Access.
Enter your username and password and leave VMWTD as the domain.
All the available apps and desktop will appear here.
Launch the Excel 2016 Horizon RDS Remote App.
Select "Ask me later" and hit Accept. Then open blank workbook.
Type something to make sure that app is working properly
Close Microsoft Excel 2016 Horizon RDS Remote App.
End of Demo.
Here is a recap of what we just did:
- Logged in to a Horizon Linux Virtual Desktop.
- Launched the Horizon through HTML browser.
- Launched the Microsoft Excel Published App.
- Close the Horizon Microsoft Excel RDS Remote App.