In this quick walkthrough we're going to demo how to run RDS Remote App published Microsoft Excel 2016 from a Horizon Linux Desktop by completing the following steps:
- Log in to a Horizon Linux Virtual Desktop.
- Launch the Horizon through HTML browser.
- Launch the Microsoft Excel 2016 Published App.
- Close the Microsoft Excel 2016 Published App.
In order to perform the full end-to-end demo make sure you have the following:
- A valid account in the VMware TestDrive environment, sign up here if you don't
- Network access from your device and TCP ports 80, 443 and 4172 & UDP 4172 enabled
- An appropriate Horizon client installed on your device
- An appropriate web browser (such as Google Chrome) installed on your device
Let's get started, open up your favorite web browser and get sign into the Horizon Workspace Portal
Once you're logged in and at the Horizon Workspace Portal home screen, we need to add the Horizon Linux Desktop to our favorites (If you've already got these, skip ahead to where we first launch the Horizon Linux Desktop session from Workspace)
After get into the portal, hit the "All Apps" from left side menu.
All available apps and desktops appear here for all regions. From here find "TD-UBUNTU" desktop. Click star to add this desktop to your favorites. Or if you click OPEN then it will open through HTML browser.
After adding desktop to your favorite, click Apps as shown in screen shot below. Desktop will show up in your favorite list. Then click on three dots next to the TD-UBUNTU desktop to open it either through horizon client or HTML browser.
Click "Open in Browser"
you will get prompted for the login screen. As shows in screenshot
Click "Not Listed" and then enter your username and password to log into the desktop.
Then type your username and hit next. Then type your password and you will see the Ubuntu desktop as shown below
This is Ubuntu desktop that you logged in
Click Firefox web browser icon in the top right of the window.
Then in the address bar type "https://horizon.vmwtd.com" to get connected to AMER region through HTML browser. Then click Advanced
Click on Accept the Risk and Continue button
Then hit VMware Horizon HTML Access
Then enter your username and password and logged into AMER region
All the available apps and desktop will appear here.
Launch the Microsoft Excel 2016 Horizon RDS Remote App published in AMER region.
Select "Ask me later" and hit Accept. Then open blank workbook.
Type something to make sure that app is working properly
Close Microsoft Excel 2016 Horizon RDS Remote App.
End of Demo.
Here is a recap of what we just did:
- Logged in to a Horizon Linux Virtual Desktop.
- Launched the Horizon through HTML browser.
- Launched the Microsoft Excel Published App.
- Close the Horizon Microsoft Excel RDS Remote App.