When employees onboard with new technology they don't always follow the steps or processes outlined by their IT admin. Occasionally, they may not want their entire corporate app suite on their device and will just go to the app which will bring them the most value straight away.
This is why VMware has created stand-alone functionality for the VMware productivity apps. Now, when an employee attempts to download VMware Boxer, Browser, or Content Locker without having Workspace ONE or a management profile on their device they can still use the apps as they were intended to be used. This feature can be turned on or off by the IT administrator. In this guide, we'll walk through using VMware Browser without Workspace ONE or a management profile on the device.
- Download VMware Browser on your unmanaged device
- Authenticate using your TestDrive email address and credentials
- Browse the web on your unmanaged device
Before You Begin
In order to complete this demo please make sure you have the following:
- An iOS device
- A valid account in the VMware TestDrive environment, sign up here if you don't
- Activated the AirWatch service from the My Services tab in the VMware TestDrive Demo Portal
Download VMware Browser on your unmanaged device
First, navigate to the App Store on your unmanaged, unenrolled iOS device. Download VMware Browser to your device.
Once VMware Browser is installed, launch the app. You'll be asked to enter your email address.
Authenticate using your TestDrive email address and credentials
If you're unsure what your TestDrive email address is, you can verify this in the TestDrive portal by following the steps below:
- Login to portal.vmtestdrive.com with your username and password
- Click on the dropdown next to Workspace ONE to view your credentials
- Here you will find your TestDrive email address
Here we will enter our TestDrive modified email address into Browser and select "Next".
Next, you'll be asked for your username and password. Enter your TestDrive username and password (without the domain) and select "Next".
Browse the web on your unmanaged device
Now you will see your homepage for your internal resources as defined in the AirWatch Browser. Here you can see the different restrictions you may have when using the AirWatch Browser. You can setup access into an intranet website, you can set links to public webpages, and you can restrict access to certain websites by blacklisting them.