In this walkthrough we are going to show you an overview App Volumes - Apps On Demand in the VMware TestDrive environment.
The App Volumes - Apps On Demand demo runs on a Horizon 8 VDI Desktop pool of non-persistent instant clone desktops, each running Windows 11 with the App Volumes Agent installed.
1. Connect to Workspace ONE
2. Find and Launch the App Volumes On Demand VDI Desktop
3. Find and click on the App Volumes Manager shortcut on the Desktop
4. View VDI-Microsoft Office 2019 Application settings
5. View VDI-Microsoft Office 2019 Package Settings
6. View Installed Applications Prior to App Launch
7. Launch VDI-Microsoft Office 2019 Application - Excel
8. View Installed Application Post App Launch
Before you begin this walkthrough please ensure that you have the following:
Let's get started, open up your favorite web browser and get sign into Workspace ONE using your TestDrive username and password.
From the Apps Tab in the Search Apps field type AppV. Click the star on the bottom right hand side of the tile to add the shortcut as a favorite.
Navigate back to the Favorites tab and find the AppVolAoD Desktop.
Move your cursor over AppVolAoD and click on the three dots that appear which will give you a list of options.
Click on Launch from Client (requires Horizon Client already installed on your local machine) or Launch from Browser to open the virtual desktop in a separate tab.
After successful launch, the Windows 11 desktop will appear.
Click on the App Volumes Manager shortcut on the desktop
Select Installed Apps
Note that Microsoft Office 2019 is not present in the list.
On the Packages tab, expand the VDI-Microsoft Office 2019 Package
Note the Delivery is set to On-Demand. Select "Edit"
Note the different Stages available.
Type in your Testdrive username and password at the App Volumes Manager login prompt
On the Applications tab, expand VDI-Microsoft-Office 2019
Note the details, including the Status, and the "Allow Multiple package attachment on multi-session RDS" is set to No, and that it is set to Current.
Click on Assignments and note the entitlement and the computername prefix condition.
Note the Stage selected is Published
Click on the Start Menu and select All apps
Note that even though we have just confirmed that the Microsoft Office 2019 suite is not in the list of installed apps, App Volumes has prepared the shortcuts to launch it. Please select Excel from the list
Note the App Volumes On Demand Delivery notification.
After a few seconds the Excel application launches.
Go back to Installed apps to observe the changes
Note that Microsoft Office 2019 is now included in the list of installed apps. Please close out the Installed Apps window and Microsoft Excel and log off. This completes the demo.
- Connected to Workspace ONE
- Found and Launched the App Volumes On Demand VDI Desktop
- Navigated to the App Volumes Manager.
- Viewed VDI-Microsoft Office 2019 Application settings
- Viewed VDI-Microsoft Office 2019 Package Settings
- Viewed Installed Applications Prior to App Launch
- Launched VDI-Microsoft Office 2019 Application - Excel
- Viewed Installed Application Post App Launch